At present, there is no a single readily-accessible, modern reference source about Cambodia. As part of The University of Cambodia’s research agendum, we plan to produce an encyclopedia (with Khmer and English editions) containing reliable, in-depth and up-to-date information on all aspects of Cambodian life.
* To bring together information about Cambodia on a broad diversity of topics.
* To foster an interest in research and scholarship in our students, researchers, scholars and other Cambodians.
* To make this information available to all Cambodians through libraries, schools, etc. (we plan to distribute copies to all schools and libraries in Cambodia).
* To promote Cambodia to the outside world – whether for students, potential tourists, investors, educators and other researchers.
* To contribute to knowledge-building in Cambodia.
The fields to be covered include:
1- Natural History & Ecology
2- Geography & Geology
3- Agriculture & Fisheries
5- Language & Literature
6- Archaeology & Architecture
7- Religion & Customs
8- Fine & Performing Arts
9- Food & Drink
10- Folk Medicine
11- Science & Technology
13- Politics and International Relations
15- Administration & Public Policy
17- Media and Communications
At present, we are compiling a master list of possible entries, together with initiating the recruitment of an Editorial Advisory Board to oversee the obtaining, vetting and translating of possible material.
The Encyclopedia will be printed in Khmer (10,000 copies) and in English (10,000 copies), as well as on CD-ROM. The tentative date for the official launching of the Encyclopedia is December 2009.
We are looking for:
A. SPONSORS for this venture:
1- Platinum: US$200,000
2- Gold: US$100,000
3- Silver: US$50,000
4- Bronze: US$10,000
5- Sponsor: US$5,000
6- Supporter: below US$2,000
B. POTENTIAL CONTRIBUTORS of entries for the encyclopedia.
All sponsors and contributors to the Encyclopedia of Cambodia will be officially acknowledged and recognized.
We are grateful to the following, who have come forward to provide their support for the project in its initial phases:
* Monument Bookstore;
* The Cambodia Weekly;
* Worldwide Support for Development;
* Dr Haruhisa Handa;
* Radio Southeast Asia;
* BG Group
All those who are interested should contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org or Ms. Por Malis, Director of the Office of Administration, (855-)23-993274 (for sponsors); or Mr. Heng Bunboly, Assistant to the Vice-President of Academic Affairs, (855-)12-373849 (for contributors).